Most of us have a list of things our mothers said to us when we were kids. Some of those things came to pass and some didn’t. Here’s a short list of the ones I’ve heard from my mother and the mothers of my childhood friends.
- Don’t go outside without your coat on. You’ll catch your death of cold. Mom 0 / Kids 1 (Shivered a few times, but no death.)
- Don’t climb that tree you’ll fall and break your neck. Mom 0 / Kids 1
- If you fall out of that tree and break your leg don’t come running to me. Mom 0 / Kids 1
- Don’t run in the street, you’ll get run over! Mom 0 / Kids 1
- Don’t go outside with wet hair. You’ll catch pneumonia. Mom 0 / Kids 1
- Put that BB gun down. You won’t be happy until you shoot somebody’s eye out. (Well, I never shot anybody’s eye out, but I was never really happy either. Just kidding.) Mom 0 / Kids 1
- Don’t make that face. It’ll freeze that way. Mom 0 / Kid 1
- If all your friends were jumping off a cliff, would you jump off a cliff? (And bungee jumping was born. Thanks, Mom) Mom 0 / Kids 1
- ait till your father gets home. Mom 0 / Kids 1 (Whew!)
- You’ve got enough dirt behind those ears to grow potatoes. Mom 0 / Kids 1 (Not a single spud.)
- When you grow up I hope you have kids just like you. Mom .5 / Kids .5 (At least they’ve been entertaining.)
- Close that door. Were you born in a barn? Mom 0 / Kids 1 (Weren’t you there?)
- If you swallow that watermelon seed you’ll grow watermelons in your stomach. Mom 0 / Kids 1 (And I thought I was just fat.)
- If you keep playing with it, it will fall off! Mom 0 / Kids 1 (I’m
not really sure what “it” was, but I’m glad to report that I still have all my parts.)
- Don’t ever let me catch you doing that again! Mom 0 / Kids 1 (Change in venue.)
- You should go into Real Estate. I think you would be good at it. Mom 100 / Kids 0 Thanks, Mom!
Happy Mother’s Day!